The South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD) has filed a petition for an administrative order to require Carlton Forge Works to reduce its persistent odors. Carlton Forge Works has agreed to a proposed order. Click/tap here to view and download the proposed administrative order. The key elements of the order are as follows:
- The facility shall refrain from grinding operation from 3 to 5 PM unless a control strategy on the grinding building exhaust is implemented.
- The facility shall submit a comprehensive odor plan to reduce metallic odors within 7 days.
- The facility shall evaluate whether the grinding wheels contributing to the metallic odors. If so, must assess the potential alternatives and submit a written assessment report within 45 days.
- The facility shall evaluate the feasibility to install additional controls on all grinding building baghouses to reduce metallic odors and provide a timeline to install within 45 days.
- Within 14 days , the facility shall provide a scope of work to implement control measures #3 and #4, have a third party consultant walk the perimeter of the Abraham Lincoln Elementary School twice each operating days between noon and 8 PM for a week and provide the logs to AQMD.
- Within 14 days of installing control measures of #3 and #4, the facility shall assess whether the controls reduce the metallic odors significantly.
Community members may testify at the proceedings before the independent SCAQMD Hearing Board. The hearing will take place on Thursday, July 13 at 9:00 a.m. in the SCAQMD Hearing Board Chambers, 21865 Copley Drive, Diamond Bar, CA 91765.
Comments are closed.